Anti-Racism Book Club Facilitator - Neuroscience Graduate Program, Ann Arbor, MI, June 2020-Present
- Led group discussions over three months of the book White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo with Neuroscience program faculty, staff, and students.
- Helped to design discussion guidelines and facilitated bi-weekly discussions surrounding white privilege, racism, policing, and prison reform in the US.
FEMMES Capstone Activity Coordinator - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI May 2020-Present
- Coordinated virtual events for young women in STEM during the COVID crisis, including a virtual Capstone event where students learned many different basic science concepts.
- Attended leadership retreat and networked with fellow executive board members to find ways to engage with students during the school year.
BrainsRule! Committee - Neuroscience Graduate Program, Ann Arbor, MI, November 2019 (event cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak)
- Helped to develop curriculum for booths for a one-day neuroscience educational event for middle school students held at the Michigan League.
- Worked on an education committee with other members to coordinating updating booth descriptions and guides from past years.
Annual Retreat Committee - Neuroscience Graduate Program, Ann Arbor, MI, October 2019
- Coordinated with committee members to select a date and location for the 2020 NGP retreat.
- Researched options for speakers and helped select a speaker for the retreat.
Girls Who Code Mentor – Department of Computational Medicine & Biology, Ann Arbor, MI September 2019
- Taught weekly programming lessons in Python to high school women in the Ann Arbor area.
- Mentored a team of two girls on an independent capstone programming project, culminating in a final presentation.
Outreach cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak
- Michigan DNA Day Volunteer
- FEMMES Capstone Group Leader
Demonstration Booth Presenter – MSU Neuroscience Fair, East Lansing, MI April 2018
- Created a short version of the Stroop task paradigm that students and adults could participate in at a booth.
- Explained the science behind the Stroop task to students and parents and presented with more information about experiments currently being performed in the TAP Lab.
Chemistry Group Presenter – MSU Science Festival, East Lansing, MI April 2018
- Developed a short chemistry demonstration with other MSU students for a variety of ages that taught the basic scientific concept of acid/base reactions
- Presented the experiment at the MSU Science Festival as part of a small group and answered audience questions.
Student Volunteer – Spartan Day of Service, East Lansing, MI September 2015, 2016, 2017
- Participated in day-long service projects in the local community in collaboration with other members of the Residence Education & Housing Services at MSU.
- Worked on various projects including stocking and serving at a food pantry, assisting with painting of a local day care, and landscaping for a nursing home.
Music Engagement Intern - Logan Autism Center, Saint Joseph, MI May 2016 – August 2016
- Designed a weekly music curriculum for children on the autism spectrum to enhance their learning and speech skills.
- Created learning materials for autistic children to aid word recognition and pronunciation during therapy sessions.
- Presented a daily group time activity to introduce and encourage group social skills and classroom behavior to assist in the transition into school.
Medical Oncology Volunteer - Sparrow Health System, East Lansing, MI January 2016 – May 2016
- Supported fifty patients and their families on the medical oncology floor by providing social support and attending to basic needs.
- Collaborated with the charge nurse each shift to identify patients in need of companionship and provide it.
- Responded to patient and family needs during the day and consulted with nurses to provide the highest standard of care.
Chemistry Day Presenter - Impression 5 Science Museum, Lansing, MI October 2015
- Designed a scientific acid/base demonstration for elementary school students and a poster explaining the science underlying the reaction.
- Performed the procedure many times during a science symposium to engage more students in science and increase interest in STEM fields of study.
- Answered questions from students and explored different aspects of the experiment with them to encourage curiosity and excitement for science.
Volunteer - Honors College Service Club, East Lansing, MI September 2015 – May 2016
- Identified needs in the community that college volunteers could respond to in a meaningful way.
- Collaborated with leadership in the club to engage new students in recruitment efforts and increase the outreach of the group.
- Impacted the East Lansing area through events like Special Olympics, campus clean-ups, and fundraisers for area high schools.
Student Mentor - Honors Times Two Gifted Mentoring, East Lansing, MI September 2015 – May 2016
- Designed a personalized curriculum for two gifted kindergarten students to enhance their academic experience.
- Engaged them in hour-long sessions each week with an emphasis on reading and writing skills, including poetry writing.